Thursday, June 08, 2006

UNION RESCUE MISSION

As apart of the internship this summer we are serving at a location somewhere in the L.A. area. Some are doing pick-up basketball through Mosaic, others at the Neo Underground but I really wanted to see what downtown L.A. is all about.

We were given the option of helping at the Union Rescue Mission. And as I told the volunteer co-ordinators today, I am "all in" for this.

Today I got what you may say was a "wake-up call" or something like that. The area were the URN is on "Skid Row" and has more homeless people then anywhere else in the country. After walking around and witnessing what I did today, I will not refute that. I have never seen an area with more homeless people in my entire life and probably never will. You could "feel" the danger outside the building.

The area is surrounded by all types of people. Some who were left for dead, some who have no family, some who hospitals won't even help and others still who are hanging on to their last glimpse of hope. To summerize, it's filled with people who have just about lost all hope/optismism.

What happens at the URM they are trying to help people find their way back home, so to speak. They get the homeless in a program and try and rehibilate them by teaching them a variety of skills (resume building, GED tests, etc.). They have a medical clinic as well as dentist on site along with a Legal Aid Clinic. They have a desire to help people who really want to help themself. This is all done in an enviroment that is Christ-Centered.

The 90 minutes was so eye-opening that I may never fully process it all but I know that I am going to jump in with both feet and do whatever I can to help these individuals back on their feet. I don't know what it is but everytime I see a homeless person, I just want to help however I can. God has got something in-mind for me in this, I just know it.

1 Comments:

  • Hinkel,
    Welcome to my hood, that place is a huge eye opener, I truly hope each visit gives you a new perspective on all surroundings and direction to your next journey!

    Pray'n for you!

    By Blogger Kevin Coates, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home