Monday, June 05, 2006

WEEKEND RECAP

Sunday, June 4

What an amazing day.

I got to the Pasadena location at 7:45 a.m. for the 9 o'clock service. Walked up to someone and said, "I'm an intern, what do you need?"

The response was pretty funny, "Oh, we like interns because they do whatever we ask." (kind of had to be there to really appreciate it!)

All morning in Pasadena, I helped at the Cafe by serving muffins, cookies, drinks, etc. for about three hours. I loved it. I'm always wanted to do stuff like that so this was a fun experience. I think I will be able to do this each Sunday morning!

Besides, the cafe I met up with a guy from San Diego who had this amazing story of surviving a car crash but was suffering from massive head injuries as a result. Pretty intense. It's tough to hear stories like that because I want to help so badly but I'm not sure how or what to do most of the time. However, he seemed relaxed and at peace (for lack of a better phrase) about sharing the story to some one who actually cared.

After tearing the tables and tents down at the Pasadena location, I headed to the downtown location at the Mayan. This was my first time stepping into the dance club turned church. It took about two hours to clean-up the place from the night before and get the chairs set-up. It was great to serve along side others in amongst the heat and smog that is downtown L.A.

(None of my inside pictures turned out because it was too dark)

My main job during the downtown services this week was to help with parking because it can be an absolute mess at times in downtown. I had an absolute great time greeting people, helping find a spot, etc. ... It got kind of tough/boring during the services when nobody was in the parking lot but every now and then a homeless guy would strike-up a conversation with me about the CIA, church, drugs and work among other things. Rather interesting.





Overall, my first Sunday serving at Mosaic was outstanding. I would love to continue to do the first impressions type stuff next week and for the weeks to come. I didn't get to hear too much of the message that Erwin gave but I will check out the podcast for that. And along those lines, Mosaic's ethos is very much in-tune with, "church isn't about you, it is about reaching those who do not believe in Christ" ... I am just fine with that and I believe I helped out in a variety ways.

Saturday, June 3

All 10 of the interns went down to southern L.A. to serve at the Neo Underground which is dedicated to helping kids in that area. More specifically that area is were the building is surrounded by gangs. The main hope of the Neo Underground is to give kids hope and build who they are through Christ.

It was an amazing few hours with these children. As the group of us left and then went back to talk about the experience there were a few words that I used to describe it: Strength, Hope and Potenial.

Strength - Some of these kids are in their early-teens and are raising their six and seven year old brothers and sister basically by themselves. Amazing.

Hope - In an area surrounded by gang violence these kids/children have dedicated themselves to helping no only one another but themselves.

Potenial - I know this can be an over-used word but each one of them has so much to offer to the church, their family, the community, etc.

-----

Found a Chipotle for dinner and In/Out Burger for a milkshake desert!!

----

After dinner five of us headed to an artistians rally of about 30 people at the house of a Mosaic staff member. What an amazing evening as we discussed the five core values of Mosaic.

the fifth one - "Creativity is the natural result of spirituality" - is the one that has the most intrigue and interest to me. So I got in a smaller group and discussed this for about 10 minutes and used my "acting abilities" so people could see what that core value looked like.

We did a little skit to U2's "With or Without You" ... No pictures for that ;-)

Friday, June 2

Nothing really spectacular happening. The highlight of the day was getting an oil change and finding out that there is a Coldstones Creamery in downtown

1 Comments:

  • I have found myself thinking about you on a daily basis, (in the morning at 5:15) what an opportunity! Soak it in, when you get back, let it drip on me ok? I'm proud of you as a friend and hope that you get all you can out of your time out there.

    By Blogger Corey Mann, at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home