Saturday, July 29, 2006

THOUGHT FROM THE WEEK ... PART II

Ok, maybe a spend too much time thinking. However when you spend time in L.A. and you interact with all sorts of people with all kinds of ideas, it gets your brain working more than normal.
--------------------------------
During the last few weeks at the Rescue Mission I have had the chance to serve along side another group of interns who are staying at the Mission for the summer. A pretty fun group of people to interact and work with. So I was chatting with one them about what I would like to do with my life ... plant a church in Colorado in the Denver/Boulder area, etc. etc.

Then she breaks out this question: "How much focus will your church on 'urban ministry.'"

Hmmm ... can't say I was really sure how to respond that with. Not really the kind of conversation I was expecting to have while cutting potatoes on a Friday morning. Considering both of us had sharp objects in our hands, I wanted to answer in an appropriate way :-)

The person went on to say about the social injustices done to those living in cities and the frustrations she has felt from that. Really it was very cool to hear a person talk with a lot of passion about something, anything. It was clear they felt very strong about reaching the inner-city groups.

After giving a few moments of thought I told that everyone on this earth (black, urban, middle-class, blue collar, Asian, whatever ...) was on a search for three things: Destiny, Community, Significance (i.e. -- Faith, Love, Hope). As I continued to answer, my goal is to speak to humans because, well after all, that's who everyone is.

So I'm now stuck on Matthew 9:35-38 where Jesus talks about the harvest being plentiful but so few workers. I'm interesting in helping reach those who are need. That seems pretty simple. If they are inner-city that's great, if they are Asian that's cool, if they are White then no problem. Who I'm I to pick and choose who God sends my way? I just want to help.

Ok, enough of these crazy thoughts for now ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home