Thursday, June 22, 2006

A NORAH JONES DAY

So Wednesday (June 21) was not one of the better days since I have been out here. Thus I label it a "Norah Jones Day" since I needed some good, soothing music for relaxing to end the day.

I spent most of the day at the Rescue Mission. Everything was just kind of "off" almost the entire time I was there. Remember that whole Patience and Lateral Leadership thing that I am trying to use and learn while I am out here? That seemed to be on full display on various occasions through out the day.

Serving at the Rescue Mission has been so much fun and it will continue to be but yesterday was tough. Not necessarily bad but tough. I really struggle when people are disrespected and not treated as they should. It is even more of a struggle when that person is me! I have absolutely no problem working hard, doing what I am told, serving, etc. But when I become the main person on the opposite end of a "leadership power trip" that gets a little problematic for me.

Without going into a whole lot of detail, it felt like massive leadership dysfunction during both lunch and dinner. It was like having to report to three different people and all three of them wanted control. They each wanted the power of "hold the gun in the room."

Then this were the patience part for me comes in ... In the most kind and tactful way possible (seriously!) I expressed my concerns over specific thing or two before dinner. Yet, to no avail. Frustration abounds and after a longer than normal dinner time, it was time for Norah Jones.

I'm not sure I did anything really wrong or un-Christ like. Most of the troubles and frustration comes from the fact that this may not be an issue that goes away. It shall be an interesting next visit to the Rescue Mission.

1 Comments:

  • Well my friend I hope Nora jones was able to relax you a bit, remember this internship is about stretching the unstretchable..... keep in mind even in your weakest moments you are still serving and in your strongest moments you are still serving......

    Prayers to you my friend.

    By Blogger Kevin Coates, at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home