Saturday, June 17, 2006

BREAKFAST AT THE RESCUE MISSION

So Saturday morning was an early wake-up call. I woke up just before the sun broke through the horizon at 5:10 a.m. so I could get to the Rescue Mission by 6 a.m. to help serve breakfast. After just one week of volunteering there, I have now served all three meals - Woo Hoo!

This was the most quiet meal of all the servings but kind of the most sombering in some ways, so to speak. I'm not sure if the previous night was more rough on some of the people but some of them just really looked down and I mean like way down. Granted I know it was the morning but something really did feel different. I got to chat with a few of them so that was a cool experience just to say "hello" and hopefully bring some cheer to there day.

We served probably around 350 meals or so which is much slower than a lunch or dinner. After we were down serving the meal of scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, peaches and biscuits, I got to interact with some of the guys in the Rescue Mission's program about hear some of their stories. Just thought I would share the experience for the morning with some pictures ...





Just for the record, that first picture is a vanilla soda drink we had to pour into a big tub for a World Cup soccer celebration that was going on during the afternoon. Something like 150 gallons of vanilla soda that I may smell like for days to come - HA!

1 Comments:

  • Vanilla soda...there are worse things that you could smell like for days.

    Oh and the hat...it is SO you!

    Kidding aside, you look like you are enjoying serving other people. Great job Stephen!

    By Blogger Dawn Lovitt, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home