Monday, June 12, 2006

FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES

As a requirement for the internship and leadership training, we all must read "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman.

I will never forget when I first found out about the requirement. I think that I wanted to vomit or maybe even go jump off a small bridge. What in the world could this book have to do with an internship at Mosaic!?! Well, once again, I am humbled. This is a solid book. I found myself actually wanting to read it once I started it.

In case you are curious what the Love Languages are:

- Quality Time
- Words of Affirmation
- Gifts
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch

I am still kind in the blur as to what my one specific Love Langauge is but I have narrowed it down to Acts of Service and Gifts. Of course when all of us get together and take the actually test the author produced it might be something different but I am pretty confident it is one of those two.

While the book is certainly geared for couples who are married (I read the men's edition), there is so much quality stuff in here when trying to understand how to relate with those you interact with on a daily basis.

A hot phrase right now in the christian realm is, "just love on each other." So here's some rather interesting quotes on Love from the book:

" ... Love begins with attitude"

"Love makes requests NOT demands. Requests give direction to love, but demands stop the flow of love"
(Man, I'm constantly learning this one!)

"The heart of love is a spirit of giving"

"Love doesn't erase the past but it makes the future different"

"When an action you do isn't natural but you do it anyway, it is a great expression of love"
(See Jesus' sacrifice!)

If (or when) I ever get married or get into a serious relationship, I will re-read this book. It is really just so good. Some stuff might just be common sense but until you actually read it, it may finally "click on the light" for many and relationships that were just surviving can start thriving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home