Saturday, July 15, 2006

AN EVENING WITH ERWIN

This was a moment my friends, a moment in deed.

On Friday evening for a little more than two hours the interns had the distinct privilege and honor to enjoy the dinner company of Erwin, his wife Kim and daughter Mariah. There are so many people all over the country (forget that - the world for that matter) that want five minutes of Erwin's time and we got two hours!

Just imagine for a moment that you have had your life changed, ideas formed and character shaped by some one you never thought you could even meet let along have dinner with. I mean, how cool is that?!?!

After an hour dinner of just general chat, we moved into the living room for a Q&A session. I had to ask a question and since no one else would start, I did. In his book "Unstoppable Force" Erwin uses the phrase "Apolostic Ethos" like 300 times. So my question was -- "What do mean by Apolostic Ethos? How do you form that? Are you a culture that brings that forward?"

Not actually thinking it would be answer, it went into a 15 minutes long talk about it. The key quote being, "it's about a movement of people living a missional life for Christ. It's not a instiution. It is a culture that erupted in the first century and they did it without a copy of the New Testament!"

There were a few others questions and answers that just rocked my world. I wanted to take all these notes but I was just soaking up the moment as much as I could. As corny as it may sound, I felt like Mary in Luke chapter 2:19 ... The treasure of the evening will be stored in my heart forever! I just so appreciated the guy taking sometime out of his busy schedule to chat with us. That, if nothing else, speaks to the type of character the guy has!

OH ... I would be neglecting this part -- Erwin is a Notre Dame football fan! We talk about Irish football for a few moments and he is pretty "jealous" of the fact that I watch every game on the 47-yard line for free!

What a night that I will never, ever forget!

2 Comments:

  • All I can say right now is wow... wow, wow, wow, WOW! :D very cool indeed.

    By Blogger Jen, at 11:56 AM  

  • all I can say is why didn't you tell me you were in LA?

    Fescoe

    By Blogger tim, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home